Easter Mantle - 'He Lives' Easter Art
I've already expressed that I want my family to focus on Easter more acutely this year.
I made printables to put around the house, and as I mentioned yesterday, got one printed larger with the expectation of putting it above my fireplace.
It was too small.
I was left to figure out what to do, how to get our Easter focus above my fireplace.
Large letters would work!
As I stewed on that thought a bit, I decided the simple statement that 'He lives' is what I want to say, to focus on.
I thought about doing another pallet piece, and began pulling a pallet apart, then decided I liked the idea of something softer, floral. I wanted to use fabric.
What I had in my head came to life perfectly.
Here is what I did.
- I purchased a large foam core board from Hobby Lobby.
- I knew I wanted my letters to be gold and white, so after I decided not to do those letters on a pallet, I hunted for my fabric, keeping that in mind.
I selected something soft in color (mint) with a subtle texture (gold floral). The pattern is larger so it sort of fades into the background. I got it at JoAnn's.
- I purchased my letters, mostly based on what would fit on my board.
- I glued my fabric to my board using ModPodge. Be sure to weigh your board down after your fabric is on there, so it doesn't curl as it dries.
- Painted letters white.
- My next step was to add some gold by taping off my letters and painting.
I started with painting some gold on, but it didn't have the pop and shine I wanted so I took my letters outside to spray paint them.
I covered the white part with cardboard and sprayed.
- I hot glued letters to the board, making sure gold lines up!
Since the fabric is secured to the board I felt fine just gluing the letters right onto the board. They aren't too heavy and have held up great.
Here it is above my fireplace.
It is simple and lovely. I really love how it turned out!
I added more gold with a paper banner as well as more white.
It is a great focus for our home this special season.